Up@dawn 2.0

Friday, April 24, 2020

Why do you believe what you do? Run some diagnostics on it

Thanks again, Ed.

Many of the beliefs that play a fundamental role in our worldview are largely the result of the communities in which we’ve been immersed. Religious parents tend to beget religious children, liberal educational institutions tend to produce liberal graduates, blue states stay mostly blue, and red ones stay mostly red. Of course, some people, through their own sheer intelligence, might be able to see through fallacious reasoning, detect biases and, as a result, resist the social influences that lead most of us to belief. But I’m not that special, and so learning how susceptible my beliefs are to these sorts of influences makes me a bit squirmy.

Let’s work with a hypothetical example. Suppose I’m raised among atheists and firmly believe that God doesn’t exist. I realise that, had I grown up in a religious community, I would almost certainly have believed in God. Furthermore, we can imagine that, had I grown up a theist, I would have been exposed to all the considerations that I take to be relevant to the question of whether God exists: I would have learned science and history, I would have heard all the same arguments for and against the existence of God. The difference is that I would interpret this evidence differently. Divergences in belief result from the fact that people weigh the evidence for and against theism in varying ways. It’s not as if pooling resources and having a conversation would result in one side convincing the other – we wouldn’t have had centuries of religious conflict if things were so simple. Rather, each side will insist that the balance of considerations supports its position – and this insistence will be a product of the social environments that people on that side were raised in.

The you-just-believe-that-because challenge is meant to make us suspicious of our beliefs, to motivate us to reduce our confidence, or even abandon them completely. But what exactly does this challenge amount to? The fact that I have my particular beliefs as a result of growing up in a certain community is just a boring psychological fact about me and is not, in itself, evidence for or against anything so grand as the existence of God. So, you might wonder, if these psychological facts about us are not themselves evidence for or against our worldview, why would learning them motivate any of us to reduce our confidence in such matters? (continues)

Miriam Schoenfield is associate professor in the Department of Philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin.

3 comments:

  1. "Religious parents tend to beget religious children" -- Empirically correct, statistically verified... but possibly not among philosophers and many academics. My own parents weren't overly pious or devout but they did their best to instill a loyalty to the Southern Baptists, in a well-intentioned but misguided effort to insure our moral rectitude. I also detoured from my dad's politics (what fun I had goading him about Nixon and the GOP!)... but the wider point of this essay seems right to me. An awareness of the contingency of most of our beliefs and practices ought to make us all a lot more humble, a lot more conscious of our fallibility and of the countless alternative possible ways of being human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be incredibly difficult to remind yourself of universal fallibility when you believe very strongly in an issue or cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was raised Christian and I found God for myself at 17 years old and i do believe if I was raised in a different part of the world with different parents i would have a different religion , but i would still have the same curiosity that i have now, so i believe I still would be Christian.

    ReplyDelete