Up@dawn 2.0

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Congressional Freethought Caucus, COVID-19, and Secular Focus on Scientific Research



First, I should say that I had no knowledge of the Congressional Freethought Caucus. If you're in the dark as I once was, then check out their history and activity here. I especially like that a secular caucus would also be interested in creating space for members to "discuss their moral frameworks," because atheists, like traditionally religious persons, can and do have such frameworks, of course! By the way, Congressman Huffman, let's make "un-closeted" public service a goal for ALL branches of government, including the Presidency. 

Recently the caucus decided to push back against religious restrictions on COVID-19 research:


When Rep. Jared Huffman, D-Calif., found out that a Trump administration rule that restricts research using fetal tissue from elective abortions was hampering scientists seeking treatments for the novel coronavirus, he had a coterie of like-minded members of Congress ready to help him protest.
The group is called the Congressional Freethought Caucus - the first caucus for nonreligious members of Congress and those who advocate for keeping religion out of government. Huffman, the only avowed non-theist in Congress, and Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) founded the group in 2018 (continues).


I should admit that there's a separate question here about the morality of abortion, which even an atheist might judge unfavorably. Still, this is a good instance that prompts us to check the interplay between science and religion.





6 comments:

  1. Ive never heard of the Congressional Freethought Caucus, but I'm glad to know it exists. I see a lot of politicians that have a bias due to religion and a check on humanistic morals rather than theistic ones seems better suited for goverment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised that there are freethinkers in the U.S. Congress, but am pleasantly surprised that they're now willing to "come out"... could be a sign that the "nones" are indeed ascending in this society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it is more representative of growing religious un-/dis-affiliation and, like Crystal said, moves us toward a more balanced exercise of power in government.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely interested in where this topic is gonna go. Like Crystal, I hadn't heard of it, but it will surely lead to issues later and those debates will be super interesting to watch unfold

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that them banning the testing on dead babies is strictly from a religious standpoint but I believe it is one from moral. Especially with the dark and racist history of Planned Parenthood, I think its inhumane to use the dead baby to test on the COVID 19 .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Debria, I agree that it's possible to oppose abortion on moral grounds that aren't religiously informed, e.g., that aren't Christian.

      I admit that I don't know much about the history of Planned Parenthood. Aside from that, what scientists say about the value of using fetal cells in medical research, particularly the creation of vaccines, leans me toward accepting this practice--assuming other moral principles aren't compromised--as a part of the many worthwhile efforts to improve the human condition.

      Delete