Up@dawn 2.0

Sunday, April 26, 2020

The Long Now

We're all pretty focused now on the short-term and this viral moment, but ultimately it's long-term thinking that will save us if anything does. I support the work of the Long Now Foundation to raise our consciousness on this point, and I love the way Neil Gaiman expresses how we close the gap between now and the long now. Tell your children stories, read and talk to them, let them know they and we have a future. "There is a tomorrow," as Greta said. Pass the baton.

2 comments:

  1. Nice speech, especially his use of Tom Sebok's idea that "you couldn't actually create a story that would last 10,000 years," but a story might last that long through its transmission down through the generations (1:25-1:35); makes me want to be more deliberate and thoughtful about the stories I tell. After all, the ones that get passed down aren't always good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those last few lines: stories make life worth living, and they might keep us alive. I haven't thought much about the longevity of the stories I'm creating or telling, but it's something I should be paying attention to.

    ReplyDelete