Up@dawn 2.0

Monday, April 6, 2020

The Sound of Silence

I think it reasonable to assume that most people have a special relationship with music. Personally speaking, listening and practicing my music has allowed me to maintain a stable mindset.

That being said, every aspect of history has its own music, that includes the religious parts. It's nearly impossible to listen to the radio and not run into a song that has some homage to religion in some form or other and most songs are extremely interesting to examine from a philosophical standpoint.

For example:
A band called Falling in Reverse had a song they released titled "The Drug in Me is You". Odd name, I admit, but it has one of the most intriguing lines I've ever heard in a song.

"If we are born to die, and we all die to live. Then, what's the point of living life if it just contradicts?"
What an interesting and mind-boggling line to have in a metal song.

Do you guys know any songs that open your mind and make you think about life? Let me know in the comments. If it's difficult for you to think of one, try exploring some music. If it bears no fruit, then at least you discovered new music.

11 comments:

  1. So many of the great John Prine's songs have done that for me, "Hello in There" and "Angel from Montgomery" but also even the funny ones like "Illegal Smile" and "Ain't Hurtin' Nobody."

    Hope he's ok and rebounding from that accursed virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I've posted a couple of Prine tunes above...

      And since viewing the last episode of the sadly-shortened run of Aaron Sorkin's "Newsroom" last night, I'm inspired to add another from the great Tom T. Hall...

      Delete
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDHV4PUZvgY

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7oPm-FQsj4

      Delete
  2. Thats the first time I've every heard someone call Falling in Reverse a metal band. But there are definitely a lot of artists who have philosophical lyrics, I think emo-esk bands especially tend to drift into pieces of philosophy when they ask for meaning in their life and what not.

    Linkin Park is one band that I can reflect on, the singer's mindset on life seeming so obvious now that he has passed. I believe composers often take their philosophies in life to their writing and can convey many different viewpoints on our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good choice! I love Linkin Park. "In the End" is a great song for this topic

      Delete
  3. Ahhh thats a dope line. For me any Kanye West song before Ye that stuff wasn't it. Kanye West song crack music he has a line that says When our heroes or heroines got hooked on heroin
    Crack raised the murder rate in D.C. and Maryland
    We invested in that, it's like we got Merrill lynched
    And we been hangin' from the same tree ever since

    It just makes you think about how these drug were put in black communties and how they effect us till this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was Intro to music last Fall, he has us listen to different lyrics, and one was from Kanye when he said. "I'm not a businessman. I'm a business, man." It was such an interesting concept to me when I heard it

      Delete
  4. "Imagine" by John Lennon really blew my mind the first time I heard it. It says so much about the world we live in and even questions religion in there too. Great song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I totally agree. I was actually listening to it yesterday. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard my Christian hometown play this at an event because of that line. At least they can appreciate good music!

      Delete
    2. It's not uncommon for Imagine to be redacted in public performance, with "no religion" excised. But that was exactly John's visionary dream, of a world made better by the elimination of religiously-motivated strife. It could almost be Martin Hagglund's theme song for "This Life," couldn't it?

      Delete
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luQSQuCHtcI

    While I first thought of Led Zeppelin's "In the Evening" (specifically: "Whatever that your days may bring, no use hiding in a corner cause that won't change a thing."), Inzo's "Overthinker" seemed far too straightforward not to include: the only 'lyrics' in the song are clips from a lecture of Alan Watts (now that's some philosophical music). "A person who thinks all the time has nothing to think about except thoughts. So, he loses touch with reality, and lives in a world of illusion..."

    ReplyDelete