Up@dawn 2.0

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Group #1- Group Project Discussion Board

Hey guys. I randomly came up with a very novel idea regarding faith. I was just perusing some quotes on faith and I came across a quote by John Lennon. That gave me the idea of doing a study of what John Lennon thought about faith. I think it's a cool idea, but let me know what you think about it. I drafted up a little piece to give an idea of what it will sound like.

An Epistemological Observation of John Lennon’s Views Regarding Faith


I think the best way to start stating my epistemological observances of John Lennon’s views on faith is by giving you an idea of what John Lennon is reported to have said on these matters. John Lennon is quoted to have said, “I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?” The quick and easy argument to make would begin by applying certain theories of justification for knowledge. According to Evidentialism, what makes a belief justified in this sense is the possession of evidence.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a GREAT idea!

    Of course, mine is going to be on faith throughout historic Christianity, specifically how it has dealt with opposing thoughts and beliefs. As well, I'd like to touch on why, historically, a significant portion of Christianity became "anti-science" in the past 100+ years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try to stay away from epistemology (no need to beat that particular dead horse). I think I'd be happy to explore my views on illusion vs. delusion, and when I feel that certain aspects of faith can fall into either category.

    I can do that, and/or I can offer to do a conclusion spiel for our presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. For the sake of clarity, what I'll be using to illustrate the illusion/delusion thing is prayer/meditation and so-called "faith-healing."

      Delete
  3. I'll focus on faith as an epistemology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this is too vague or conflicting with Dean, but I wouldn't mind discussing how whether conscious or not, everyone has to have some aspect of faith in some aspect of their life.

    ReplyDelete