Up@dawn 2.0

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Party!

This is from Claire Randolph, a student & philosophy major in our department. Apparently we're all invited:
From: Kimberly C. Randolph <kcr2n@mtmail.mtsu.edu>
To: __
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:37 PM
Subject: Philosophy Potluck on Saturday! 


Hello all!


To those who may not have met me in the department yet, I'm Claire Randolph. Sorry for the short notice, but I wanted to invite you all and/or your students to a department-wide potluck at my house this Saturday. Since there is a relatively small lot of majors and minors, I thought it'd be nice if we had a reason to get together outside of the JUB. I've announced it in my classes with Principe and Purcell, and again, this is an open invite. If you can't make it, still feel welcome to tell your students. (I'm encouraging people to bring dishes, but if money is tight, I don't want anyone to feel unwelcome.)




1327 Atlas St.
Murfreesboro, TN 37130

This Saturday, Feb. 18th
Starting between 6 - 7 pm
BYOB/drinks.
We really don't do enough off-site fraternizing, at least compared to my own undergrad phil major days. (There is the Lyceum, but that's only twice a year.) Some of my fondest memories from back then are of time spent at profs' & students'  homes. Once I was shoulder to shoulder with W.V.O. Quine and Wilfrid Sellars, in Prof. Kultgen's kitchen. One of my pals whispered in my ear: "some day we'll look back on these as the glory days." 
==
While I'm at it, another PSA: 
With the generous support of the Berry Fund, The Vanderbilt Philosophy Department is sponsoring a series of lectures in public philosophy in the spring of 2012. These talks are free and open to the public. Each lecture features a Vanderbilt Philosophy faculty member speaking on a topic of perennial importance. The lectures are designed to be accessible and engaging to a general audience. Each lecture will be short (30 minutes at most), after which the floor will be open for questions and discussion. The aim of the series is to stimulate philosophical reflection and conversation.
Lectures are on the following Thursday evenings in Furman Hall, room 114. The events begin at 7:30pm and end by 8:45pm. 

Thursday, Feb 23 John Lachs -
Why Is Good Enough Not Good Enough For Us?
Thursday, March 1
Robert Talisse
Must Life Be Tragic?
Thursday, March 15
Jeffrey Tlumak
Do We Have Free Will? Why Does It Matter?
Thursday, March 22
Marilyn Friedman
Can Bad People Live Well?For further information, contact the Vanderbilt Philosophy Department: (615) 322-2637
And:



No comments:

Post a Comment