Up@dawn 2.0

Monday, March 23, 2020

"Sunlight always returns"

NASHVILLE — A two-week bout with flu turned me into a person I didn’t recognize — a hopeless, coughing, exhausted person. I lay in bed, phone in hand, skipping from news outlet to news outlet: refreshing, clicking, scrolling, scrolling, scrolling. The news was always bad, every update worse than the one before.

By the time my fever broke for good, Covid-19 was an official pandemic, and the news was all about social distancing: no meetings, no coffee dates, no dinner parties, no book clubs. I work from home, and the loss of such communal activities would have been disheartening if it weren’t for the fact that the world had changed during the two weeks I spent in bed.

I don’t mean our cities and towns, our trailer parks and hamlets. True, this pandemic has altered our lives so fundamentally and so suddenly that no amount of scrolling can explain it in a way that sinks in. For the worried well, our whole world is now unrecognizable, and it’s too soon to tell what it will look like when the virus finally burns out.

But there’s another world that has always existed both apart from and alongside civilization. While I was sick it changed, too, in the age-old turning of the earth itself. By the time I could walk outside again, springtime had come to Tennessee...

I can scroll and worry indoors, or I can step outside and remember how it feels to be part of something larger, something timeless, a world that reaches beyond me and includes me too. The spring ephemerals have only the smallest window for blooming, and so they bloom when the sunlight reaches them. Once the forest becomes enveloped in green and the sunlight closes off again, they will wait for another year. Sunlight always returns the next year.

Margaret Renkl, nyt

2 comments:

  1. I have felt a lot more like a peripatetic recently. I have always loved walking in nature, but I have found a lot more opportunities to do so since everything has closed down. An interesting observation I have made is that the trail I usually go to is full of way more people than usual, and I see tons of my neighbors getting out to walk around the neighborhood (I try to keep a safe distance from others during my walks, of course). I must say that it is nice to see so many people enjoying the warm weather and moderate exercise during these uneasy times.

    Although this pandemic has reminded me of a lot of flaws in our society, I have also seen a lot of good things. I think that our culture will change dramatically after this, and it will result in a LOT more remote jobs and ready-made online back up plans for schools. Maybe we will learn to slow our lives down a bit, get outside more, and appreciate the little things. I don't know what will happen next, but I hope that we can make the best lemonade out of the lemons that we have right now... Stay safe, and stay positive folks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. Always look on the bright side so you don't turn cynical, I should really take this advice. haha

    ReplyDelete