Up@dawn 2.0

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Quote to ponder

Later this week, I intend to upload my midterm report on the Reason Revolution. Here's a quote from the book to ponder a bit:


"Everyone is an atheist. Christians do not believe in Zeus. Muslims do not believe in Thor. Hindus do not believe in the Christian god. How do you know you believe in the right god? If you are certain in your belief, how do you explain the fact that most people in the world are as certain as you, yet believe in different gods than yours? As author Stephen Roberts argues, “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.” "

2 comments:

  1. That sounds a lot like Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion, does Roberts cite him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I have found it an amusing strategy, when asked whether I am an atheist, to point out that the questioner is also an atheist when considering Zeus, Apollo, Amon, Ra, Mithras, Baal, Thor, Wotan, the Golden Calf and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I just go one god further." https://books.google.com/books?id=yq1xDpicghkC&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&lpg=PP1&dq=god%20delusion&pg=PA77#v=onepage&q=zeus,%20apollo&f=false

      Delete