Up@dawn 2.0

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Owen Flanagan on Naturalized Buddhism

I ran across this cool article and podcast involving Owen Flanagan and his thoughts on Buddhism. I thought it was pretty interesting. I thought some of you might find the same. I would skip to about the four minute mark to start it off. I wouldn't recommend listening to the whole thing, but the first part was good. hope you enjoy.

http://secularbuddhism.org/2011/09/23/episode-83-owen-flanagan-the-bodhisattvas-brain/

2 comments:

  1. In Happiness Class last semester we read Flanagan's 'Bodhisattva's Brain: Buddhism Naturalized' and, while some of us (I) criticized his writing style--him and those godforsaken superscripts--I still think it was a very interesting and, if you'll pardon the cheeky word choice, enlightening read. His idea of "cherry-picking" seems to work beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really have a problem with the superscripts, cumbersome tho they are stylistically. They do in fact lend quick clarity to ambiguous terms out of context. But the cuteness factor does sometimes annoy, I'll admit.

    ReplyDelete