Up@dawn 2.0

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

William Irvine's "Stoic Challenge"

Since something we've talked about is the resources atheists can use to respond to suffering, adversity, and the like, I thought it would be relevant to add this to the mix. Stoicism certainly isn't for everyone--it can come off as too passive--but I think Irvine tries and sufficiently succeeds to put an inviting spin on it. You'll like this if turning something into a game works well for you as an incentive. You're mostly in "competition" with yourself, although I guess you could take pleasure in how calm you're staying relative to others!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. Trying to experience setbacks without suffering. I think I do this on a daily basis, trying to beat back the tide of frustrations in dealing with the public, when I want to be at home drinking tea and reading. I have moments when I despair though.
    At times I feel that when I'm being responsible and doing the things required of me, something will go absolutely wrong and will be outside of my control. I try not to take it personally because I know there is not a malevolent spirit trying to hijack my day, but it does feel suspiciously like I've been cursed with bad luck. So I give myself a moment to lament, and then I use my resourcefulness and problem solving skills to take care of it. Usually this works.
    I assume a Stoic approach to life wouldn't happen overnight. Like meditating, you have to practice. I'm going to challenge myself to be a Stoic this week. I'll report back with my findings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stotic Challenge reminds me of what us Christian call the maturing of faith. Life is a test in where we are met with challenges we can either grow and rise to the occasion or return to our old ways and miss the chance for growth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, it's posible to carry stoic imperturbability just a bit too far... (see cartoons above)

    ReplyDelete