Up@dawn 2.0

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

At the philosophy conference

Greetings from chilly Chicago



where there must surely be something better to do tonight than attend a philosophy conference...



My badge boldly declares "my pronoun"...



I'll go downstairs in a bit to deliver my latest reflections on what we can learn from the friendly, good-spirited, lifelong philosophical antagonism between two great philosophers - a pragmatist and an idealist - who didn't let their divergent ideas diminish their humane mutual respect. That's kinda what we were talking about in class Thursday with Ben, isn't it?

Do I get extra credit for walking right past the Yazoo booth at Gate 25 without stopping, when I boarded the plane for Chicago?



UPDATE, 2.27.  Our session went well, last night. And the SAAP session this morning was good too. And then I ran into Dan Dennett, thanked him for his many good books, and gave him my free drinks coupons for tomorrow night. (I'll not be here then.) He seemed grateful - as befits the author of "Thank Goodness"...

And then a nice walkabout in the Loop and Millennial Park (and past the historical marker indicating that my hotel, Palmer House, is historic (c.1925 "the world's largest), followed by a terrific lunch of blackened catfish at Miller's Pub. (Highly recommend the "War Pigs Foggy Geezer" hazy IPA.)

Now, catching the Dewey Lecture "How I am an Aristotelian"... The speaker just said "Plato, bless his heart..."

Looking forward to seeing Martha Nussbaum and Philip Kitcher in a bit. Should be home by midnight, Southwest Airlines and Uber willing.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fortuitous meeting with Dennett! Thanks for keeping us in the loop with your post. Looking forward to hearing more details. Travel safely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made it, but Uber at this end was almost "unwilling" after midnight Friday!

      Delete