Up@dawn 2.0

Thursday, April 28, 2022

The Ambiguous Final Blog Post, a Reflection

    This is it. The much anticipated ending to the semester. When I begin every semester, there's a certain sense of freshness and excitement about the people I will meet, the things I will learn, and the conversations I will have. As the semester drags on, one begins to count the days just a bit more often in anticipation of the end. The stress and (occasional boredom) begin to eat away at the excitement and freshness that we set out on our journey with. 
    
    At the end of each semester, we often ask ourselves (and are asked by others) to reflect on our experiences. Yet, we often approach this from the sense that these past experiences are separate from what we are now!

    Nay! We are our past, and we are what the future may yet hold for us. This is it. This moment, this thought, this breath - this is what we are. The present is all there seems to be, and it is built by the trail of our past and what is left of the trail ahead of us. 
    
    So, much like our beloved William James, I part you all with no conclusions, because there are no conclusions to be made! There is simply the trail ahead, and the journey that will inevitably follow this moment. 

    But if a conclusion needed to be made, a reflection of how my opinions might have changed, I will share this:

"We are all trying our best, with the knowledge we have, the background we were given, and the ideas that we form - to live the most productive (or at least the most enjoyable) life possible, and there is no one correct way to do this. I do not blame you for thinking the way you do, as I hope you will not blame me for thinking the way I do. Love the human experience as it has been given to you, and love those around you for they are trying to do the same as you."

I bid you all a very fond farewell, for now.

3 comments:

  1. That's a nice humanitarian statement, Samer. Might even call it humanist.

    I'll bet you could find an Alan Watts video or two (dozen) to illustrate the "This is it" mindset...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alan+watts+this+is+it

      Delete
    2. Undoubtedly one of the most memorable things Alan Watts has said, I like to think that Zen and humanism have many overlapping characteristics.

      Delete