Up@dawn 2.0

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Secular 12 Step Members

Throughout my time in the circles of a 12 Step Program known as Narcotics Anonymous, I have been confounded by the concept of a higher power. The only recommended characteristics of a higher power are that it be “Loving, caring, and greater than (oneself)” according to the NA Basic Text. Most of the people I come into contact with simply say God is their Higher Power and call it a day. I have been confused with this from the jump because I feel it eliminates the concept of Free Will and turns a daily decision of abstinence from mood altering and mind changing substances, into simply a bestowed gift from God. It seems to eliminate all concepts of personal growth and accomplishment and turn it into a gratitude to God. The following will seek to work through what it means to have a higher power in a secular sense. I will be using two of my peers, who have a combined total of roughly 30 years clean, in order to work through their higher powers and see what it means to work a 12 step in a secular way. In doing so, I hope to show that even those with secular feelings can understand and incorporate 12 Step sentiments. 


How do you identify, with respect to religious or spiritual feelings? 

Mike: Atheist. I was raised religious, a preacher’s kid. I started doubting at about 6 or 7 years old, and had qualms with the Bible and my upbringing, as far as the people I was around. They felt the Bible was the literal world of God and when I questioned, I was told I just had to have faith. There were no concrete answers. 

Frank: Agnostic. A bit of Humanist. I was raised episcopalian and questioned faith at 9. I studied Buddhism for several years from 18-23 and didn’t like the organized religion aspect. It’s the ritualistic and superstitious acts that turned me away. 


What is a Higher Power? 

Mike: That’s a hard question to answer, man. I’ll answer in a twelve step Philosophy. “A Power greater than yourself.” Doesn’t necessarily have to be spiritual or religious in nature. When I started, I was told to try to figure out what a Higher Power wasn’t. I started that way. Then I looked at the opposite to see what my higher power could be. What attributes I wanted to attribute to it. I didn’t want it to be vengeful, unforgiving, no fire and brimstone, didn’t even want it to be supernatural. I had this dream back in the 80’s that I went to a proverbial heaven and there were all these doors. On top of each door was the name of a religion. I opened the door that said Protestant and the doors all opened to a bigger room. 

Frank: Kinda the same as Mike, but some of my experience with Spirituality, or my view, is that things can be more fluid and can evolve. It can also be diverse and not mutually exclusive, I.e., some religions have rivalries with each other and see themselves as one true faith. Spirituality to me is a house with many doors. 


What is your Higher Power? 

Mike: Positive energy. Basically, just the principles of the program. The program in and of itself. There’s just an energy I feel in the rooms when I attend meetings that I can’t seem to replicate on my own. If I apply the principles to my life, it gets better. A lot of it is just drawn from previous experience. A lot of it has just taken time. The NA Traditions have a lot to do with how I say what I say and what I do when I do things. I identify as an addict, and when I share a message I talk about principles, but I don’t necessarily believe you have to call them this. Ethical Values, moral codes, these are just what we call spiritual principles, they aren’t calling on any supernatural being or greater deity. These can exist independent of that. 

Frank: It changes for me often. Somedays I feel like an atheist, some days I feel like there’s something that can’t be proved. What I always rely on is spiritual principles and ideals. I trust people to keep me accountable. Whether it’s people in my network or more specifically my sponsor. I think there’s also this idea of a moral code that has been passed down even before modern religions existed, so its drawing on this ever-present moral code.  


How can this be reconciled with the recommendations of the Basic Text that it be loving, caring, and greater than yourself? 

Mike: In my view, my conception of a higher power is loving and caring. The majority of the people in my network- my go to people- are very loving and caring. The principles I practice are positive and loving and caring. The argument can be made that they are greater than my addiction, which is another parameter set on it. When I maintain contact with this, it takes away from my desire to use which makes it greater than my addiction. The idea is suggested, it doesn’t necessarily have to be to work. If your higher power works- it works. If your High Power hates you or doesn’t want what’s best for you but it keeps you from using, then what does it matter. 

Frank: To piggyback off Mike, the energy a group brings to a room can be loving and caring. That is one of the benefits of the fellowship- the community. By ourselves we aren’t much, but together we are greater than the sum of our parts. 


Final Comments or Concerns 

Mike: The twelve steps aren’t an end all be all to recovering from addiction. Other ways work for some people. A lot of people go for community, and I think that helps a lot. Just having that community of people doing the same thing you want to do. It’s very positive. We don’t keep track of members so who knows the overall effectiveness. It’s the best suit for me right now and has been for a long time, so I’ll keep doing what I am doing. 

Frank: Be excellent to each other and party on. Don’t be an asshole- the essence of the ten commandments. 


There are sizable populations of Secular NA Members in Toronto, New York, and all over the West Coast. The following interview is just a shining example of a, albeit minority, population of Secular Members in 12 Step Programs. It led me to believe that, although these members are not the majority, they are a shining example and embody the ideas the 12 Step Programs preach. The rejection of Supernaturalism seen in each of these people showcases the ability of Narcotics Anonymous to incorporate a loving and thriving atmosphere in any life- not just those of the religiously inclined- and demonstrates a truly pragmatic and pluralistic sentiment in the attitudes of its members. 



1 comment:

  1. This is great, Javan.

    I do still prefer "greater" or "stronger" to "Higher"...

    ReplyDelete