Up@dawn 2.0

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Mini Biography of Alan Watts (Final Report, Installment One)

During the research for my midterm report, I realized that I enjoyed literally everything I read or heard pertaining to, and especially his own words regarding, Alan Watts' philosophy.  So, for my final report, I am going to give something of a mini biography about him.  Of course, this being a Philosophy course, I am not going to drench my final report with facts about his personal life; it will be mostly heavy with philosophical perspective.  By the end, I hope to have convinced some who may have been on the fence about this philosopher that he at least had some interesting ideas to offer. 

Alan Watts was born in 1915, just outside of London, England, and very soon began his discoveries with the discovery of a Buddhist lodge when he was young.  He was fascinated with Eastern culture and Philosophy in his childhood, and his parents, noticing his intelligent and inquisitive nature, encouraged him to begin writing.
He made the move to the United States in 1938, and began as an Episcopal priest.  Ok, with the nature of this course, I get that him being a priest turns some people off immediately, but have faith (no pun intended), he is very cool and interesting.  In 1951, he published a book titled The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety, in which he wrote about the efforts to be certain about Religion and Philosophy in one of the most vulnerable eras in human history.  The same year, he began teaching Buddhist Studies in San Francisco, and five years later, started a radio show titled "Way Beyond the West."  Throughout the 1960's and early 1970's, Watts was incredibly popular for his lectures in the counterculture movement.  He was so popular that some of his favorite locations would become something of a hangout spot for his followers, so, when he wanted to write, he had to go to a more secluded area to be alone.  Sadly, he died in his sleep in November of 1973.

His life spanning 58 years and ten months is very close to the span of another idol of mine, George Harrison, whose life spanned 58 years and nine months.  I find this very coincidental, fitting, and relevant because Harrison was also very fascinated with Eastern religion and culture through most of his life; the difference, however, is that he was drawn more to Hinduism, and his childhood led him to spill his wisdom through the beauty of his music.  Bet you thought there was no way I could force a Beatles reference in this, but I always find a way.  Regardless of similarities and differences, both men left this world much too soon.

That's enough about his life, in my second installment, I will be talking about his Philosophies that made him such a popular man.  A link to the source where I got this information is below.  If you'd like to learn more about him, that is a wonderful site to explore.

http://www.alanwatts.org/life-of-alan-watts/

4 comments:

  1. I love Alan Watts! I have been a fan of his writing and the YouTube videos of his lectures for a few years now. I think this is partly why I also love Spinoza. Though I have not found any examples yet of Watts mentioning Spinoza's work, there philosophies seem able to mesh well for me. And, as Watts was a philosopher, it's hard to imagine that he did not know Spinoza's work.
    I look forward to reading your recounting of some of his philosophies which work well with this class. I know that his deistic views, though taken from a more Eastern perspective, will fit in perfectly with Spinoza and many of the Founding Fathers' opinions of God's nature.
    Great pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,

    Thank you for sharing. I had not heard of Alan Watts, but your brief introduction makes me want to learn more. I am a big Beatles fan so I appreciated your connection of Watts to George Harrison. I also would like to learn more about Buddhism. I believe that there is a Buddhist temple between Murfreesboro and Smyrna. As you develop his philosophies, I would also be interested to learn of who influenced him as well as whom he influenced.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not a big leap from the Episcopal/Church of England priesthood these days to a more secular-tending Buddhism. Would you say that Watts' variety of Eastern wisdom was non-theistic, even atheistic, and selfless (in the Buddhist sense), thus disinterested in the thesitic quest for personal immortality and salvation? But there is still something naturalistically salvific about this view, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Alan Watts and have listened to his speeches many times! I find him to be a strangely interesting person. However, I had never actually learned about his early life and the things that led to him being the person I am familiar with so your post was a really interesting read.

    ReplyDelete