Up@dawn 2.0

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Discussion question related to my religious upbringing.


Both my mother and father were very religious in studying the Bible and praying, but they never attended a formal church during my lifetime. As a young boy, I attended the local Methodist Sunday school, but stopped before I was ten. One of my classmates in elementary school was struck and killed while waiting for the bus by a young man who fell asleep while he was driving returning home after working the night shift. I didn’t understand why God would have allowed that to happen and my mother’s explanation didn’t help.
But growing up on the farm I had already had many doubts about passages in the Bible that didn’t reconcile with what I observed. I watched cows, cats, and dogs labor and give birth to calves, kittens, and puppies, so I knew early on that there was no way that any woman named Eve could have been born without a uterus and therefore bearing children was a normal mammalian process and not due to any sin.
We also had a variety of fruit trees and I ate the fruit and knew it didn’t carry any special knowledge of anything, and I couldn't conceive of why a tree with the supposed characteristic of possessing fruit with the knowledge of good and evil would have been planted in the garden anyway. Who would be eating it and what happened when the fruit ripened, did it fall to the ground and deteriorate like all the fruit from our trees and what if an animal ate it, like the deer did with some of the fruit from our trees, would they acquire knowledge of good and evil? As far as I was concerned, the fruit was just juicy and tasty.
As a little boy playing with one of our male Beagles, I was rubbing his tummy and noticed that he had nipples and I asked my mom why, since he was a boy dog. I remember her asking me why I had them. That question remains with me today, because there is no reason for man to have non-functioning nipples unless woman was created first and they then became non-functional in a man just as they are on a male Beagle.
At night, I would gaze up into the stars, there was no light pollution, and when I learned how far some of those stars, like our sun were from Earth, I realized that if I were on them, I wouldn’t even be able to see Earth so I began to think that in the great universe we were a pretty insignificant part.


About this time, I began to question all the time and effort throughout history spent on trying to determine how we got here and all the people killed because they believed or didn’t believe a certain way. I wondered how much better the world would have been if all that time had been channeled into trying to make life as good as we could for ourselves and others, but as I got older, I also realized that other people have different views and reasons for believing as they do and I doubt that that will change much in the next ten thousand years. In a billion years more or less the Earth may cease to exist and what remains of any of us will long be gone with our only consolation that the elements which comprise us will probably still exist in some part of the vast universe.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, Don. People who grow up on farms have a leg up on the rest of us, with a more immediate, direct, and basic confrontation with inescapable bio-reality (and astro-reality, back when light pollution wasn't everywhere).

    One thing about ultimate consolation: I'm still intrigued to wonder what life will make of itself between now and the dispersal of our elements across the universe, and consoled to entertain the possibility that humans may yet accomplish wondrous things beyond present imagining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post, Don!

    It's interesting to me that as a young boy your parents did not religiously take you to church. In my experience, and in my (limited) research of the South, church is an incredibly important element to rural areas. It was/is more than just a religious meeting place. It was about connecting with your community, and I would say that this sentiment would be stronger in a rural area. Church and Christianity is almost ingrained into the seams of American culture during the 20th century.

    I also enjoyed your views on the practical aspects of the Garden of Eden. I lost my grasp on Christianity due to similar observations. It is astounding to look up at the sky and see millions of stars. This sight alone is enough to convince me that any god that mankind could create would be too small for the universe that we can see with our eyes.

    History classes also fascinated me. Once a teacher told me that there were over 37,000 religions in the history of humanity. If there had been so many religions, how could one--whether it be Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, etc--be regarded as THE religion?

    Thanks for your post! I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thoughts Skye I have had the same troubles with the sheer number of religions out there claiming to be the religion. The thing about stars and the night sky things we claim are beautiful and therefore must have a Divine connection even just how everything seems to work effortlessly in perfect harmony the beauty of the randomness of everything. What are your thoughts on that to be put frankly what is the thing all things have in common the origin that connects us.

      Delete
  3. Great job Don!

    I had never considered the dilemma about the apple being eaten by other animals and if so would they to have been punished like humanity. That's an interesting spin and thank you for it. Much like yourself I was raised with a certain religious up bringing but very rarely attended church. As I grew older like most do I questioned the the tells of God and religion in the way Sky does vast universe with a single ruling body seems less likely and many different interruptions of the same deity while more possible then the latter also raises some questions

    Thanks for the point of view

    ReplyDelete